Friday 13 December 2013

12th November 1939

Last night was one of the best ever.  Joan called for me at 7.30, much to Mrs Kelly’s disapproval, I could tell.  I think she muttered something about Joan’s feet looking like pigs trotters in her high heels.  She is a plump girl but that wasn’t very nice of Mrs Kelly at all.  Then she told me that if I wasn’t back before 11.30 then the bolt would be going on the door.  Then we went back to Joan’s lodgings to collect her landlady and the other girl who lives there – Mrs Fraser and Lettie.  Lettie is thinking of joining the Wrens – perhaps I could have her room if she does.  That would be wonderful because I really like Mrs Fraser. She’s still young and her husband is in the army and she seems to want to live it up while he’s away.  We all had a really good dance though there wasn’t nearly enough men in uniform to go round!  My feet were killing me when I got in  (at 11.15!) but I didn’t care because I was on air.  That’s the first dance I’ve been to where I haven’t had a relative or friend of the family keeping an eye on every move I make!  I want to go out more!

No comments:

Post a Comment