Wednesday 5 March 2014

28th March 1940

Had a lot of the morning to myself now that I’m on the new shift.  I went into town before going into work and treated myself to a bag of toffee and a cotton scarf.  Before my shift started I went in the buffet for a tea and a bun and a chat with Joan.  Well, my doctor friend turned up to buy a cup of tea while he watched for his train.  Turned out he’d been to an emergency and was running late.  He took over mine and Joan’s conversation and tried to find out where we live and who with and where we go dancing – all sorts of information.  Anyway, then he asked me what time I finish work,  I felt I had to tell him because he phrased it so innocently but Joan said after he’d gone that I should have said half an hour after the real finish time.  Well, she was right because when I knocked off and went out onto the concourse there he was waiting for me.  He wanted to take me to the Station Hotel for a drink and I said that I really had to get back because I had so much to do but he just wouldn’t take no for an answer.  I refused to have an alcoholic drink and just went in for one.  That seemed to satisfy him for now anyway but I must say that I dashed home very quickly.  Joan said that I shouldn’t have gone at all but Mrs F said that I should encourage him if he’s a doctor – he’ll have plenty of money and can heal himself if I make him ill.  I’m sure if Mum and Dad knew about Mrs F they’d come and remove me from this house.

No comments:

Post a Comment